Thursday, November 4, 2010

The good old days of computer usage when a virus was an exotic thing

Circa 1982-84 when I first started using PCs, there was no WWW. My computer was a 99% closed system. The only way malware could enter was if I put it there via floppy disk, etc.. Getting new software was a fairly rare occurrence, and when you did it was often from folks you had dealt with previously, (an update on disk, etc.). We local computer professionals used to swap stories we heard about this or that virus in a faraway land etc.. I think it was the mid 90s before I actually encountered my first infection.

Now, if you don't keep up with updates, and you use the web, you are asking for trouble. I've talked to pros who check for updated software at least weekly. You must have all the latest Anti virus, firewall, and usually one or more other malware checking programs. And STILL the nasties gets in.

Sometimes I sure miss the old days.

Site Meter